Wednesday, October 14, 2009

APPETIZER RECIPE - BBQ Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts



A couple of the people who read my blogs emailed me and asked me if I had any good recipes for appetizers.  I DO!  I just hadn't gotten around to posting them yet, as I usually serve those closer to the holiday get togethers.

I love this recipe! I can make myself sick eating these things!  The ones in the picture above dont have BBQ sauce...but they are much better with the BBQ sauce!  Make some with and some without to see how you prefer them. 

I don't make these very often anymore because they take a little time to make AND I just don't entertain much anymore.  I used to...but I'm just to busy these days...and my kids have lives of their own and are never around to plan a family get together (thats' a whole different blog...LOL).   Anyway, I hope someone tries these.  They may not SOUND like they would be good...but they ARE.  Trust me!



BACON WRAPPED BBQ WATER CHESTNUTS
1 pound of bacon, cut strips into thirds
3 cans of whole water chestnuts, drained and rinsed
Toothpicks

SAUCE
You can either use your favorite BBQ sauce to dip these in or you can use the following:

1 cup ketchup
1 cup brown sugar

Drain and rinse water chestnuts.  Cut bacon strips, so that you get 3 peices out of each slice.  Wrap 1 peice of bacon snuggly around each chestnut and secure it with a toothpick.  Do not insert the toothpick all the way through or it will break the chestnut in half.   After all chestnuts have been wrapped with bacon, place them on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven UNCOVERED at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

After baking, mix the ketchup and the brown sugar together in a bowl (or you can just use your favorite BBQ sauce instead if you want) and then spoon the mixture over each chestnut, coating completely and thickly.  COVER with alluminum foil and bake in the oven for another 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment