Sunday, October 18, 2009

RECIPE - Dried Beef and Green Onion Cheese Ball



I've been going through my recipes for several weeks now when I get a little free time.  I have had this project in mind for awhile to separate and organize my recipes, get them all in one container, and then make a recipe book for my daughter of all our family favorites.  She's a great cook and I know she would love to have all the recipes in one big book made especially for her, but  I just havent gotten around to it yet. 

But, I am finding some great recipes and am getting some ideas on different things I would like to have at the upcoming holiday meals!  I'm planning a "friends" get together sometime a few weeks before Christmas complete with dinner, dessert, holiday drinks, etc.  Who knows what else will be involved...I've just started planning it. 

I ran across this recipe, which is one that my grandmother makes EVERY year at Christmas, mostly because we beg her to make it! LOL  It's not a dieters recipe but a little wouldn't hurt anybody...the only problem is that once you get started....you cant stop! LOL



DRIED BEEF AND GREEN ONION CHEESE BALL

2  8-ounce packages of cream cheese, softened
2 jars of dried beef (you can usually find this in the same area you find tuna,  Spam, etc.  Its in a small clear jar with a metal lid)
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
Garlic powder, a couple of good shakes
1 bunch of green onions
Chopped pecans or walnuts

Chop your dried beef into tiny peices.  Chop green onions and part of the onion tops.  Add the dried beef, onions, garlic powder and Worcestershire sauce into a bowl and mix.  Add the softened cream cheese to the bowl and mix it very well.  Roll the mixture into  a ball and then roll it in chopped nuts.  Refrigerate overnight before serving.  I like to serve this on a tray with some crackers, summer sausage, and  raw veggies lik carrots, celery, cucumbers, etc.

If properly wrapped/sealed up, this will keep in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.  If you have several holiday events to go to...you can make several of these ahead of time and freeze them!

No comments:

Post a Comment