Sunday, October 18, 2009

RECIPE - Dark Chocolate Walnut Caramel Pie



Well, this is my final recipe for today, as I've got some studying to do this evening.  But, I've enjoyed pulling these recipes out and sharin them today.  As you can see, my collection of recipes does NOT contain very many low-calorie recipes! LOL  I might have to start getting some of that kind of recipe from some of you who might have them....cuz I have no clue on how to cook low calorie meals that are still satisfying.

Anyway, you might as well enjoy these recipes since I cant!  Actually posting these, while knowing I can't eat them myself once I make them, is sort of my way of preparing myself for NOT being able to endulge.  Well, I guess a bite or two at the holidays wont hurt....but normally....on Thanksgiving night after everyone was gone....it would be nothing for me to curl up on the couch and finish off whatever was left of the pie! LOL   No wonder my butt is getting big! LOL   This pie is to die for, but is very rich so you can only eat a small peice.  I also have a recipe for Chocolate Pecan Pie that is my husband's favorite, but I'll save that for another day.  Hope you try this!


DARK CHOCOLATE-WALNUT CARAMEL PIE
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1-1/4 cups heavy or whipping cream
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, cut up
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1-3/4 cups walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1  9-inch Baked Pie Shell


Prepare 9-inch baked pie shell per package direction,  until deep golden. Cool pie shell on wire rack at least 15 minutes.


In a heavy saucepan, heat sugar and water on medium until sugar dissolves and turns amber in color, ab0ut 15 minutes, swirling pan occasionally.


Meanwhile, heat 3/4 cup of the heavy cream in the microwave, about 45 seconds, or until warm. Place the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream in the refrigerator to keep cold for whipping later.


Remove the saucepan of sugar and water from the heat.  Stir in the warm cream until a smooth caramel forms (caramel will stiffen when cream is added). Stir in the chocolate and butter, stirring  until completely melted. Stir in the vanilla extract and 1-1/2 cups of the walnuts. Reserve the remaining 1/4 cup of walnuts to sprinkle on top of the pie later.


Pour the warm chocolate filling into the pie shell. Cool for 1 hour, then cover and refrigerate at least 3 hours or until set.


When ready to serve, beat the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream with a mixer until soft peaks form. The cream is unsweetened, as the pie filling is VERY rich.  However, if you prefer the cream on top of the pie to be sweetened, you can add sugar to you own preference when whipping.  With a spatula, spread the whipped cream on top of the pie, leaving 1/2-inch border all around. Sprinkle with reserved walnuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment