Tuesday, October 6, 2009

RECIPE - Sweet Potato Casserole




Isn't it funny how our taste buds can be finicky sometimes....and also how they change as we get older?  I never liked sweet potatoes as a kid!  Just the mention of the dish made me feel like gagging.  Something about the texture of them just sent me over the edge! LOL  My grandmother would cook them at the holidays in this big baking dish with some butter, and covered with marshmallows...that ooey gooey topping still wasn't enough to get me to eat even one spoonful. 

But as I got older, I guess my taste buds changed.  I was at a company Christmas party one year...the food was catered and they had this sweet potato casserole.  Everyone carried on about how good it was, so after some persuasion, I tried it and I've loved it ever since. 

I did some research, tried a few recipes, and this is the one that seems to be everyone's favorite!  Feel free to use it for your holiday meals.  You can even make several of these ahead of time and freeze them!  If you do freeze your casserole ahead of time dont make the topping mix yet.  Skip making the topping mix until right before you plan to bake it.  For some reason, if the topping has been frozen too, it just doesnt turn out as well once baked, and it doesn't look as good on the casserole.  Hope you enjoy it as much as my family does.


SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter



TOPPING
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans



Combine the first 6 ingredients. Pour into a buttered 1 1/2 to 2-quart casserole dish. Mix remaining ingredients together and sprinkle over top. Bake at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes, until hot and browned.  If you have made this ahead of time and froze it, thaw it out before you bake it.  Serves 6 to 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment